Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Poultry Sweet

{The Chicken in B&W}

I recently came across New York photographer Jean Pagliuso's series of black and white portraits of chickens she calls "Poultry Suite." She prints them on handmade paper using a labor-intensive process involving a silver emulsion wash, which gives the the photographs a softness and formalism that reminds me of portraits of soldiers from the Civil War. Which is weird, because they're chickens. So there's this inherent irony in taking formal, old-timey portraits of these prized rare breeds of barnyard fowl. I can't decide if they're kitschy or if they're beautiful. Or both. But I'm quite taken with them either way.





Images courtesy of Jean Pagliuso

Tomorrow I'll post the second poultry-art installment: my giant chicken paintings...

4 comments:

  1. ohlalala, cherie! these look like your chickens but the remixed black and white version! awesome and very interesting post! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photography, they look like sketched. Keep up the good post!
    Brad Fallon

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: