Monday, September 21, 2009

Earth Candy

{Roasted Ginger Carrots}

Just a wee post this morning, and also from the kitchen. We got loads of carrots from the Joshua Tree Farmer's Market on Saturday, and they are such spindly little guys! I think the desert soil must be hard on carrots because they're always so petite and they go limp as soon as you take them home, as if they realize they're destined for imminent death. Dramatic, I know, but you should see how floppy these carrots get as soon as you pay for them. I'm telling you, they know.

*But* they are still delicious and much sweeter than the commercially grown ones from the grocery store. I found some borderline rotten ginger that's been hiding in the fridge for lord knows how long, and thought, hey, this might give those sweet, limp carrots a little kick. And the result was simple and delicious and EASY. So without further ado, I give you:



Fail-Proof Roasted Carrots with Ginger:
Cut greens off carrots leaving two inches or so. Place in ovenproof dish and coat carrots with a generous tablespoons of olive oil. Add grated fresh ginger, s&p. Roast at 400 degrees for 30 or 40 minutes, or until crispified on the outside and soft in the middle. You can really put them in at any temp and just eye them every so often until they look appropriately shriveled. Heaven


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your food looks delish. Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm these look amazing. You can't go wrong with this combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comment! This looks really yummy! I definitely want to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never eat enough carrots.
    This should get me on track easily. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: