Thursday, September 17, 2009

Desert Gold

{Two Trifles For Fall in the Desert}

The Joshua Tree farmer's market is full of surprises this time of year. So is the Anthropologie jewelry sale. Luckily you can have your cake and eat it too.

EAT: Barhi dates. These little jewels of heaven ripen for just a few precious weeks in the early fall in southern California. HUNT THEM DOWN. THEY ARE UNLIKE ANYTHING YOU'VE EVER TASTED. They come off the date palm clustered along a thin woody stem like a string of golden pearls. Originally from Iraq and Iran, barhi, translated to "honey balls," were delicacies of the Assyrian Empire. That's serious street cred when it comes to dates.

They're crunchy and yellow at first but give them a few days to ripen and they'll soften to a deep caramel brown, and you will revel in their nutty sweetness. If you don't live near the desert you can order them from SoCal organic date farmers here. (Thanks to Kristina at Lovely Morning for teaching me about them!)

WEAR: A necklace that makes you feel like the Queen of Sheba. The one above can be found here for a recession-appropriate price of $48 at Anthro. Yesss.

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog!! I stumbled upon it recently and love how it's so fresh, inviting and calming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, this is why i love your blog too. I know there will be unusual surprises for me each post.
    The beads on the necklace look good enough to eat too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lily! Grier pointed me toward your blog and I totally love it, plus the chicken paintings are fantastic :) I actually write for a blog myself, called www.artisticthings.com, under the pseudonym HelmutAvedon. I'll definitely be reading as you keep posting! xo Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhhhhhhhhh. this is my favorite blog as of yet. probs cause anthro was involved! i love that necklace!!! i love you!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: